17.4.10

DKNY LBD

I love this photo.  It was taken to show you the dress that I have only just this minute finished.  You can also see the home dec projects that have been keeping me from sewing dresses.  And there on the right, you can see a child in tears, after fighting with his brother for the camera, which is typical of my photoshoots.  Atypically, I am smiling, and not yelling at the photography team.


This dress is Vogue 1179.  I don't wear much black.  I didn't even wear black when I lived in Melbourne.  Excluding underwear, the only black clothes that I own are the LBD that I made last year, the denim leggings I made last year and one blouse that does not get much wear.  This dress pattern called for matte jersey or silk jersey.  Then I saw that EmmaOneSock had a black silk matte jersey, which is a fabric that I am not familiar with, so I ordered some out of curiosity.  The other colour was oyster, which I think suits me even less than black.

This should have been a quick and simple project, but the armholes caused me much grief, which I will detail in my pattern review.  I think I prefer my zebra print dress, which is made from a very similar pattern, with no armholes to contend with.  This pattern is part of the Vogue spring/summer line-up, but I am finding the collar all a bit hot in my autumn climate.  Might have to be a winter dress for me.  On the up-side, the narrow, deep neckline, cowl collar and CF pleats all create a strong vertical, which is very slimming.  I had to remember not to take the dress off in front of the mirror when I was checking the fit, as the reality was spoiling that slimming illusion.

Well, this is not my usual attire, but I am hoping to get lots of wear from it, as it is very easy care.  It would be a perfect travel dress, if I ever had need of a travel wardrobe.

16 comments:

Mary Nanna said...

verrrrrrrrry nice.

Great photo! In my home town, black is de rigeur - half the town wears it most of the year. It wouldn't be sleeveless at this time of you though, oh no siree.

It made me laugh that you bought a fabric just out of curiousity. That's the sewin' spirit.

Karin van Dam said...

Great dress, I think you look gorgeous in it!

Now I have to find you on Pattern Review. I have to admit I didn't know about PR until recently, it was an eye-opener. Now I knew what everyone referred too ;-)

Anyway, I am curious to hear about your armhole problems.

Bernice said...

Great dress. Looks very wearable. You could brighten it up with a groovy handbag to match those seriously stylish shoes!

Sue said...

Fabulous dress! I have a similar dress (purchased) and I just love it - comfortable to wear but flattering on.

Gail said...

How did you live in Melbourne and not wear black!? Black is inescapable in Sydney. I love the dress and will take a look at the pattern.

Nancy K said...

It is lovely on you, but there is no way you could look fat anyway.

Lori said...

This dress looks wonderful on you.

Amanda S. said...

Love it! I skipped over this design but it is super cute!

lsaspacey said...

Wow, with this and your last outfit is sure looks to me like you're accumulating a fabulous resort vacation wardrobe. Mabye you should start to make that vacation a reality because you sure have the clothes for it. I see Greece!

gwensews said...

There is nothing better than a black dress. It's an all-occasion garment. Nice sewing!

Myra said...

This is an awesome dress. I have to add this one to my sewing list! Looks beautiful on you too!

Mon Café Couture said...

beautiful! the dess and the picture, nice cushions on your home porch sofa:)

Sigrid said...

Love it. So chic.

Michelle said...

Looks sensational. i love the neckline on that dress.

Adventures in Dressmaking said...

Very, very cute. I don't wear much black either, anymore--I used to, but have not been into it at all recently, but that is SUCH a cute style and it will be very practical!
I also love the pillows on the couch in the background...

Leslie V said...

Your black dress is fabulous. I never paid attention to that pattern,but seeing it on you makes me want to try it for myself.