30.12.09

This is why I sew

Well, there are lots of reasons why I sew, but ending up with gorgeous clothes has got to be one of them!




The following photos are from www.style.com for the Calvin Klein Fashion show S2006RTW.





The fabric:  I had saved the above pictures in my look book of absolute favourites, so I was very excited when Colette showed a sneak peek of this fabric on her blog.  I was even more excited when a panel of this fabric made its way to me.  It is a floaty chiffon, and I was a little worried that I would lose it in my stash, so I have been keeping it in my underwear drawer.  As much as I loved the above pictures, I wasn't sure how much I would wear a silk, floaty dress (life with kids is a little rough and tumble).  One panel was the perfect amount to make a camisole, so I went with that instead.

The pattern:  "Age of Innocence" from Twinkle Sews.  The pattern was designed for 2 contrasting knits, but apart from that little detail, it was remarkably similar to what I was wanting.  Read my pattern review for details on sewing up this pattern.
 


 I printed out the pattern and sticky-taped all the bits together.  I lay the fabric on top of the pattern and then cut out the pattern and the fabric at the same time, to prevent the chiffon from shifting around whilst I was cutting it.  In the next photo, you can see that the fabric is sheer enough that I could see the pattern through it when cutting. 


You can also see that I centred the dots...resulting in a lovely big, green dot right on my belly button!




The bubble hem silhouette may take some getting used to.



15 comments:

Bernice said...

Oh, Katherine that is simply gorgeous! Gorgeous! Gorgeous! Gorgeous! I love everything about it - the colours, the floatiness and the style! What a way to finish up 2009. Happy New Year!

gwensews said...

That is a very flirty, feminine cami. It looks terrific on you.

Gail said...

It is totally gorgeous. Your design has made me less afraid of big prints. Its funny, I go into Tessutis all the time and have never noticed this fabric.

Colette said...

W.O.W!

That top is gorgeous and could pass for a Calvin Klein original.
So so so happy to see you wearing it. The pattern is lovely and I like pleat effect joined to the bodice.

This is making it's way straight to the Tessuti Flickr Group.

Thankyou also for my Christmas card.Happy New Year 2010 to you and the family xxx

Colette said...

And it's perfect with your lovely green shoes...how I'd like a pair of those!

Dei said...

How gorgeous! Go Mommy.

Mary Nanna said...

Great job - wow that's one tricky fabric to cut and use but you did it with style. So glad to see someone else who buys and wears silk with young kids in tow - may be we sew silk because of that, not despite it, needing to find a little "glam" in the day...

meli88a said...

Gorgeous, and great placement of the print!

Anonymous said...

I love the style and fabric. Also, I love idea of using wood blocks for pinning the fabric down! Love learning new things. I just had an ah-ha moment. Very cute top on you!

Yalicita said...

What a wonderful execution. I also got me the twinkle sews, I am looking forward to doing this one.

Christina said...

I just love this top, looks very RTW. Yes, it's successes like this that keep us sewing, isn't it?

EmilyKate said...

Oh, so pretty! Perfect marriage of style + fabric... I'm jealous of your floaty-fabric skillz!

AllisonC said...

Just gorgeous, how wonderful to find the exact fabric.

Nancy K said...

Wow, this is wonderful on you. Great that you found the perfect fabric.

Mon Café Couture said...

Hi Katherine, thanks for commenting on my origami blouse. 123 pages?! you're motivated! What ais the size you're cutting your patterns from this book? If you ever decide to make the origami blouse, I 'll be glad to send you the pattern size 12, that will spare you some hours of sticking and taping tens of pages together.